History Hootenanny19 August 2023
What is a hootenanny?
Hootenanny (n.): 1. An informal gathering where folk music is played in a party-like atmosphere (1950-60s) 2. An Appalachian colloquialism used as a placeholder name to refer to things whose names were forgotten or unknown (1930s. See doohickey, thingamajig, whatchamacallit) 3. A variation of the Scottish Gaelic word for New Year’s celebrations (15th century Gaelic. See Hogmanay)
In partnership with the Knox County Public Library’s Clarence Brown Film Festival, the East Tennessee Historical Society announces the 2nd annual History Hootenanny, a celebration of East Tennessee history. History Hootenanny showcases the best of the East Tennessee History Center and partners at this open house. Guests can enjoy live music, children’s activities, a used local history book sale, walking tours, shuttles to the Historic House Museums of Knoxville, genealogy workshops, and more! History Hootenanny is a free, public history event organized in partnership by the East Tennessee Historical Society and Knox County Public Library.
- Clarence Brown Film Festival special screenings
- Music by the Lawnmower Bluegrass Band
- Friends of the Library Used Book Sale
- Walking tours with Knoxville Walking Tours and the Knoxville History Project
- Introduction to genealogy classes
- Self-guided tours of the Tennessee Theatre
- Shuttles to the Historic House Museums of Knoxville with living historians
- Children’s activities (see below)
At a Glance
- History HQ will open at 9am
- The Yearling will show at the Tennessee Theater at 1pm
- Story times will happen at 10am, 12pm, and 2pm
in History Headquarters
- Be the Director: Make your own stop motion film
- Act it Out: put on a puppet show at the Story Forest
- Claymation Creation: create claymation characters out of Model Magic
- Film-themed story time at 10am, 12pm, and 2pm (appropriate for a preschool audience)
- Behind the Scenes: Practice your costume, hair, and make-up design skills.
in the Gallery
- tour the gallery with our History Detectives booklets (not movie specific)